|12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun|
10 for each pellet, 7 pellets fired per shot.
|Maximum Ammunition held||
100 (Normal, Hard, and Mental), 200 (other difficulties)
"Ahh, my old love!"
The 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun is a weapon in Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam: the Second Encounter and Serious Sam HD. It is one of the first weapons found in all of the mentioned games.
- The Pump Shotgun fires seven pellets in a rectangular shape and uses one shell per shot.
- Despite it being a pump-action shotgun, it has a high rate of fire, there being little time between shots.
- This weapon is first found in Temple of Hatshepsut in The First Encounter and in the first level of every era in The Second Encounter.
- Weapon: 12 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun
- Ammo: 12 Gauge shells
- ROF: one shell pump reloading
- Barrel: 18"
A single-barreled 12 Gauge pump action shotgun. Efficient for short and middle range elimination of smaller enemies.
- Not very high firepower, good rate of fire
- The Pump Shotgun works best against weak enemies, such as Rocketeers, Firecrackers, Bombers, Kamikazes, and Male Gnaars. It usually takes one shot to down the beheaded enemies at up to medium range and one shot to kill a male Gnaar at close range.
- The Pump Shotgun is also effective against single Kleer Skeletons. Approximately two shots at close range will be sufficient. However, this makes it ineffective against large hordes, due to the impossibility to kill each in a single shot (with the exception of the Serious Damage power-up in The Second Encounter).
- The Pump Shotgun can also be used to finish off the latter enemy or female Gnaar that has been significantly damaged by the Double Barrel Coach Gun. This helps to preserve shells, especially early in the game, when shells can be somewhat limited depending on the difficulty.
- The Pump Shotgun can also be used against small amounts of Scythian Witch-Harpies at close or medium range. The shell spread is tight enough to hit them at medium range and its rate of fire is quick enough to engage them at close range.
- The Pump Shotgun is notably ineffective on enemies stronger than a Kleer. Even wounded stronger enemies will absorb more than a few shots if the player intends to finish them off.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In Test 1, the Pump Shotgun has a different firing sound compared to the one heard in the final game.
- Also in Test 1, the Shotgun's pump was placed correctly. However, in the final version, the pump was replaced incorrectly. However in Xbox and HD, this has been fixed.
- Sam does not physically pump the gun between shots. Sam's hand does not move, though the handle does. This applies to all appearances of the shotgun.
- The Xbox version of Serious Sam 1 has a different, slightly improved model for the Pump Shotgun.
- The HD version of the shotgun does not eject a shell between shots.