The Adult Arachnoid is an aggressive warrior from a primitive race that evolved from arthropods. Unlike the hatchlings, the adult variety has a mouth on the bottom part of its body, and yields two chain guns within its pincers. They are also equipped with red armor on their front torso and legs and wear a helmet.
Adult Arachnoids are fully grown Arachnoids, with a tougher exoskeleton and augmented armor, unlike the hatchlings. Like the Arachnoids that appears in Serious Sam 1, they look very much like scorpions, with six legs and a large sting, as well as two pincers, though they have a humanoid body and head.
"A holy warrior from a primitive race evolved from arthropods. Extremely hostile due to their religious convictions. Exoskeleton covers a large area of Arachnoid's body. Adults augment their bodies with armor plates for better protection. Augmented pincers in adults contain built-in chainguns. Their tail sting is a powerful weapon. Stay away from it at all times."
The first Adult Arachnoid appears as a boss in Into the Spider's Nest. Subsequent Adult Arachnoids serve as harassment units, providing supporting fire to the other units. Unlike its classic counterpart, most of the arachnoids are located in the ground level as opposed to rooftops and columns. Also, the arachnoids appear in groups of one to two and in places where it's possible to take cover.
It has a different attack pattern compared to its classic counterpart, which shoots decently-damaging bullets at a rather average rate, this Arachnoid shoots low-damaging bullets at a very fast rate. It opens its pincers, and starts shooting a burst of 20 bullets per hand (40 in total), then stops, and repeats that sequence after a short interval. Compared to its classic counterpart, it is also faster, can often avoid slower projectiles and does is not as susceptible to flinching while damaged.
The miniboss version's bullets can pierce through the debris the player is probably hiding behind, destroying them. It also has roughly three times as much health as its normal counterpart.
- The Arachnoid is able to destroy cover. If cover has been too badly damaged, the player should sprint to another pillar or move to another side of the pillar, depending on their situation.
- Reload the 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun while behind cover or between Arachnoid bursts.
- The hidden Double Barrel Coach Gun, and XL2 Lasergun found earlier in Into the Spider's Nest are very helpful against the Arachnoid boss. The coach gun does much more damage against the Arachnoid than the regular shotgun, while the lasergun can tear apart the Arachnoid within seconds.
- Remember that there are supplies scattered throughout the arena, so try and grab some while the boss is between minigun blasts if they're needed.
- When facing off with an Arachnoid, the player's first priority should be to find cover. The Arachnoid can quickly slice up the player because of how many bullets it fires if the player is unable to find cover. It's recommended to shoot the Arachnoid after the machine gun volley is over. Once the Arachnoid has stopped firing, open fire on it until it has been killed.
- One can tell the Arachnoid is about to open fire as soon as it opens its pincers and starts shooting. Keep note of this and use it to your advantage whenever you need to find cover.
- The XPML21 Rocket Launcher or AS-24 Devastator is very effective against the Arachnoid, but the player needs to be at medium range or closer in order to hit it with the rocket launcher. As most Adult Arachnoids strafe frequently, one is able to dodge slow projectiles, such as rockets from the Rocket Launcher. The Devastator's projectiles are fast enough that the Arachnoid can't avoid them in time, so the player is free to engage it at nearly any range.
- A C-4 Demolition Charge is also effective against Adult Arachnoids. All it takes is one attached charge to kill an Adult Arachnoid. Without being attached, it will take roughly two or three to kill one depending on how close the Arachnoid was to the detonation.
- Multiple Arachnoids can be dealt with powerful rapid-fire weapons, such as the lasergun and the XM-214-A Minigun. The lasergun and minigun can quickly kill Arachnoids because of their high rate of fire and damage per shot. A single charged SBC Cannon shot is enough to kill one, which makes it another effective weapon for groups.
- The Arachnoid is a significant threat when paired with other enemies. Its miniguns can inflict a large amount of damage, even from far away. It should be one of the first enemies targeted so that it can't quickly chip away at the player's health and armor.
The below list shows how many of this enemy type appears in each game, per difficulty and either single or co-op mode.
|Games||Tourist, Easy and Normal singleplayer||Hard and Mental singleplayer||Serious Difficulty singleplayer||Tourist, Easy and Normal co-op||Hard and Mental co-op||Serious co-op|
|Serious Sam 3: BFE||37||38||38||38||39||39|
- Illegally downloaded or cracked versions of Serious Sam 3: BFE have a DRM mechanic that features a miniature invincible Adult Arachnoid that will chase the player. It attacks identically to a regular Adult Arachnoid, but it travels at an extreme speed. Despite being invincible, it can be killed with the "kill all" console command, attacking it enough can also still stun it like a regular enemy.
List of appearancesEdit