This is getting serious!
This article contains spoilers. It might spoil your gaming experience when first playing these games.
The Alcor Class Warship, often referred to as the Warship, is a large ship designed for troop deployment and to serve as a "ground-scorcher" with its laser beam. It is the only boss in Serious Sam 3: BFE to be encountered twice.
The Alcor Class Warship is the most basic and common of Mental's spaceships, and was used during the war on Earth. Each warship is capable of holding up to 20,000 troops. The ship's armor plating is able to resist any small arms fire and anything up to a strategic missile. However, it has one significant weakness; the hatches used to teleport troops in are unguarded, allowing someone on the ground to damage it with rockets or other projectile-based weaponry.
If the ship has suffered significant damage and its systems are in danger, its on-board AI will retreat via a short-range jump before the ship can be destroyed. It also uses a FTL propulsion system to quickly reach locations. This propulsion system is also capable of going at the speed of light, allowing the warship to travel as far as 10 parsecs in one transdimensional jump.
NETRISCA description Edit
"The most common of all Mental's spaceships, the Alcor Class Warship is used mainly for troop deployment and basic "ground-scorching". It is not capable of complicated combat maneuvers or advanced attacks. Its FTL propulsion system is capable of "jumping" over a wide distance range. If the ship's systems are in danger, its AI will automatically perform a short-range jump to escape destruction. Armor plating on the Alcor Class is resistant to all weapons up to strategic missiles. Warships arsenal is limited to slow but powerful "Scorcher" beams. They can burn through steel plating at a rate of about 1 foot per second. Unarmored innards of the Warship are exposed when it opens the troop deployment hatches."
Despite its appearance, the warship is not capable of complicated combat maneuvers or advanced attacks. The warship primarily attacks with a continuous laser beam from the center of the ship's underside, which are able to burn through steel plating at a rate of one foot per second. Depending on the damage taken, the warship can multiply the amount of laser beams, allowing for a maximum of three possible beams to scorch the nearby area. Its second indirect way of attacking are the hatches located on both sides underneath the warship; when each hatch is opened, a teleport beam will spawn various enemies in different spots of the battlefield.
These exposed hatches also serve as the warship's only weakness; the Warship will take damage if an open hatch is shot with explosive weaponry, or other projectile weapons. Each hatch can only sustain a certain amount of damage before automatically closing. The amount of hatches opened appears to be based on the damage the Warship has sustained, opening the most hatches when it is nearly destroyed.
Several hundred warships are seen invading Earth in the opening cutscene, and later on the planet destroying buildings in the background with their scorcher beams.
A warship appears in the first level of the game, Summer in Cairo, where it destroys an entire building with its scorcher beam before "jumping" away using its FTL propulsion system. Later, the player will fight it in two levels, Under the Iron Cloud and The Power of the Underworld.
- The deadly scorcher beams fired by the warship is easy to dodge as long as you are constantly moving.
- If possible, try to aim at a weak point that is closest to you. Weak spots closer to the player are larger, giving you more room to hit the weak spots than trying to hit farther-away ones would.
- Being aware of your surroundings is very important while fighting this boss. Accidentally being cornered can easily get you killed depending on the types of enemies that are spawned.
- Both battles have supply crates filled with rockets scattered throughout the arenas they take place in. If you run low on explosives, it is highly recommended that you find and open a nearby crate as soon as you can.
- One cannonball can instantly destroy one of its spawn ports, which makes it a great weapon to use against it.
- The XPML21 Rocket Launcher will do better damage to the warship than most currently available weapons, but the rockets also take a sometime to hit each hatch. Be sure to shoot the hatch that is closest to you to avoid missing any shots.
- The rocket launcher is also a good choice for dealing with the hordes of enemies that the Warship teleports, as long as they aren't close to the player. One rocket can kill most enemy types spawned by the Warship except for Sirian Werebulls.
- It's usually a good idea to aim your rockets towards the ground near the enemy you're targeting. That way, fast moving enemies like Beheaded Kamikazes or Kleers will be easier to hit with the splash damage and be killed easily.
- Enemies at close range should be dealt with by using either the M29 Infantry Assault Rifle or the Double Barrel Coach Gun. Use the XL2 Lasergun if you have enough ammo to spare.
- The assault rifle is also handy for taking out long-distance enemies that could be a problem later, such as Kleer Skeletons. If the warship is also too far away to hit with rockets accurately, it can also damage the Warship when shooting the hatches.
- Try to balance it so that equal time is spent between hitting the weak points and controlling enemy hordes spawned by it. Letting enemy crowds become too large makes it more difficult to concentrate on the warship.
- If the player has picked up the XL2 Lasergun, it can do significantly more damage than the assault rifle and doesn't need reloading, making it also a good choice.
- If the SBC Cannon was collected during the course of the level, it may be a good choice to use it, as each successful shot will do massive damage to the warship. One must also keep in mind that spare cannonballs are rare at this point of the game, so you will have to aim carefully to avoid missing. Remember that the cannon's projectile descends with gravity, so be sure to use appropriate aim compensation to ensure each cannonball hits.
- Letting the warship stay alive for too long at low health with eventually cause it to populate the ground with werebulls, which can complicate the situation and may force you to use precious cannonballs.
- The cannon is your best friend during this fight; a fully charged shot on an open hatch will do massive damage to the warship. It will only take about six fully charged shots to completely destroy the warship, and since cannonballs are more readily available at this point in the game, it should be favoured over other weapons during this fight. The usage of this weapon alone can shorten the entire duration of the battle significantly, even before the Warship can spawn excessive amounts of enemies on the battlefield. Remember that the cannon's projectile descends with gravity, so be sure to use appropriate aim compensation to ensure each cannonball hits.
- The AS-24 Devastator is a good alternative for hitting the warship's weak points in the second fight. Devastator grenades are much faster than the rocket launcher's rockets, allowing the player to inflict damage quicker than in the first fight.
- If overwhelmed, the SBC Cannon, XM-214-A Minigun and C-4 Demolition Charge are excellent weapons to use against the hordes spawned by the warship. Charged up cannon shots are very useful against the stronger enemy types teleported in (like the Scrapjack), while the C-4 and minigun can clear out the weaker enemy types that teleport in (like the Juvenile Antaresian Spider).
- The biggest threat spawned in by the warship is the Scrapjack because of all the projectiles they fire. Take them out as soon as possible in order to get more room to dodge attacks.
- When playing on co-op, you will not be able to damage the warship from the Vista secret spot (which has a sniper rifle for you to pick up), even though it doesn't look like anything is obstructing your shot. Don't bother wasting your ammo.
The below list shows how many of this enemy type appears in each game, per difficulty and either single or co-op mode.
You only fight the boss twice. There is an appearance in Summer in Cairo where a Warship destroys a building in front of you. During that time the Warship is invulnerable.
|Games||Tourist, Easy and Normal singleplayer||Hard and Mental singleplayer||Serious Difficulty singleplayer||Tourist, Easy and Normal co-op||Hard and Mental co-op||Serious co-op|
|Serious Sam 3: BFE||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|All your base are belong to us!|
|Defeat the Warship in Under the Iron Cloud.|
- The achievement "All your base are belong to us" is actually a dialog from the game Zero Wing. Later, it become an internet phenomena. Sam also says the words when he taunts the fleeing Warship.
List of appearances Edit
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (First appearance)
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE