Arachnoids are common enemies featured in the Serious Sam series. There are two types of Arachnoids: juveniles and adults.
Arachnoids are a sentient race that evolved from arthropods. They are essentially scorpions with humanoid torsos where their head should be. The humanoid part of the creature has a hand on its a right arm and a pincer on its left arm. They have a very violent culture in which struggles for dominance frequently take place. An Arachnoid's age can be measured by its exoskeleton color: young Arachnoids have a yellow exoskeleton while adult Arachnoids have red exoskeletons.
It appears that Mental has tampered with their genes, as Arachnoid legends state that a god came from the heavens, gave them a five-fingered right arm and told them to fight off any race it declares is an enemy.
Arachnoids come in two variants: juvenile and adult. Juveniles have yellow skin while adults have red skin, are larger, have more health and fire in volleys twice as long compared to the Juveniles.
They make a strange screech or screaming sound when idle, and will hiss and begin shooting at the player when they notice them.
These enemies often appear far away in places like rooftops or pillars. Sometimes they appear in front of the entrances to the next rooms. Their main role is to draw the player's attention away from the main attacking force.
Attacks and statsEdit
Arachnoids have two attacks: burst-firing their chaingun and stinging the player with their tail. The chaingun has high accuracy, making it a dangerous weapon at all ranges. The sting is only used if they player gets close to an Arachnoid, though most of the time its chaingun will cut up the player long before the player can get in melee range.
Adult Arachnoids fire for a slightly longer period of time than juveniles, and are also equipped with a bigger chaingun.
- Arachnoids in far-away positions can easily be dispatched with the RAPTOR Sniper Rifle. If you don't have the RAPTOR, you're playing The First Encounter, or you need to dispatch multiple Arachnoids from far away quickly, then you can use the XM214-A Minigun, as it has perfect accuracy and can do a lot of damage quickly.
- Both Arachnoid types are weak to the XPML21 Rocket Launcher (though the sniper rifle is still better). A quick volley of rockets can quickly kill both types of Arachnoid.
- In later levels in the games, it appears that the Arachnoid (mostly the juvenile variant) is used as an improvised sniper by placing them in far away areas. This makes them very dangerous because their bullets can reach the player from any distance. On higher difficulty modes, where their bullets can do a lot of damage, they can inflict major damage without the player being able to figure out where it's coming from until it's too late.
- The player should never attack a group of Arachnoids head-on. Their minigun fire will inflict significant damage, if not outright kill the player, very quickly. Instead, you should pick them off one at a time and take cover often away from their line of fire.
- When an Arachnoid prepares to fire or is firing, the Arachnoid is sensitive to being damaged. A few bullets cause a juvenile Arachnoid to flinch for a few seconds, stopping their barrage of bullets. This allows to take lone or a few of them out in the open. Adult Arachnoids require more damage to flinch, but an explosive or constant minigun fire will do it. A sniper bullet or a poorly charged cannonball always does so (fully charged balls usually kill them instantly).
- Arachnoids have a machine gun equipped on only one hand. It is often possible to position yourself so that you have a line of sight on the Arachnoid while not being in danger.
- With other enemies, Arachnoids should be high-priority targets as long as there is no cover, as their attacks cannot be dodged. While their attacks do barely any damage in Tourist and Easy Difficulty, on higher difficulties, taking them out as quickly as possible is required to survive.
Behind the scenesEdit
- An early alpha Serious Editor image shows an adult Arachnoid with a very under-detailed and blurry skin, along with a much lower-poly model.
- In Test 1, the Adult Arachnoid has a different skin and model compared to both the alpha and final versions. Both skin and model are more detailed than the alpha, but the skin lacks the intricate details the final version's skin has. In fact, it is based off of the alpha skin's design, but has more details. Its eyes are also different compared to the ones seen in both the alpha and final skins.
- Pre-release information reveals there were actually two additional Arachnoid variants that were cut.
- The game's code reveals that there was supposed to be an even stronger third version of the Arachnoid—the Monster. It would have 1,200 HP and inflict 80 damage with its melee attack.
- There was supposed to be a fourth version of the Arachnoid, with rusty skin and blue spots. It would have been as large as a house according to Croteam. It would have been extremely powerful and also would have appeared very rarely. This specific variant would later re-appear in Serious Sam Revolution, named the Elder.