The Aurigan Cave Daemon (or "space monkey" by Sam) are dangerous, bloodthirsty predators which lurk on columns or walls, waiting for their prey to come close. Once they do, they will leap towards them and attack with their sharp claws.
The Aurigan Cave Daemon is the most atypical monkey-like enemy in the Serious Sam series. It does not charge at the player like most enemies do, but instead lurks on columns, waiting for its opportunity to leap towards the player and attack. If there are no columns around, then they will instead latch onto walls or jump onto the roof of buildings. They can leap great distances as well.
"These primarily nocturnal predators originate from dark and cold caves in the bowels of Beta Aurigae in the Sirius Supercluster and are known to be bloodthirsty and dangerous. Their sharp claws enable them to cling to walls and ceilings, and wait in ambush until unsuspecting prey is near. Using their strong hind legs, they jump down on the victim from far away. Refraining from open fights, if the victim fights back, they will quickly jump back away and hide in the dark. When they lurk hidden in the dark, only their glowing eyes give away their presence. Strike them quickly when they attack, before they jump away and hide again."
- Aurigan Cave Daemons usually don't appear with other enemies. When they do, they are low-priority targets. Trying to chase after them leaves you vulnerable to more dangerous and aggressive enemies.
- The Sirian Mutilator is a great weapon against individual or small groups of Daemons. Wait for them to leap out at you, then immediately move out of way and use the Mutilator on it. The beam will stun it for as long as it has been lassoed by the beam. It can be an effective way of quickly dispatching Cave Daemons without having to use ammunition.
- They are commonly spawned in rooms with lots of pillars or columns, sometimes in small to medium groups.
- When a Cave Daemon jumps at you, shoot it quickly before it gets the chance to hide away.
- Due to their low HP, they can be dispatched easily with the M29 Infantry Assault Rifle, and can be also be killed in one shot with both shotguns, so as long as they are in close range and most of the pellets connect.
- The SOP38 Pistol can be used to take out individual Cave Daemon that are clinging onto walls, though because it takes many shots to kill one, this makes the gun ineffective for groups.
- Using C-4 to kill multiple Cave Daemon that are hiding behind columns can be a bit of a gamble, as they may leap to another column or onto a wall before you detonate, which can be a waste of C-4.
- Sidestep or move backwards when they jump at you.
The below list shows how many of this enemy type appears in each game, per difficulty and either singleplayer or co-op mode.
|Games||Tourist, Easy and Normal singleplayer||Hard and Mental singleplayer||Serious Difficulty singleplayer||Tourist, Easy and Normal co-op||Hard and Mental co-op||Serious co-op|
|Serious Sam 3: BFE||114||114||114||114||114||114|
|Name and Icon||Description||Notes|
|Clay Pigeons||Kill 5 Cave Demons while they're in air.||-|
- Occasionally, Cave Daemons tend to glitch around pillars or on the ground, sometimes remaining motionless. This can allow the player to kill them easily when given the opportunity.