The Axe is a weapon in the Jewel of the Nile DLC.
The Axe is a simple logging axe with a dark grey head, and a wooden handle. It's the first weapon that Sam gets in the mini-campaign, and is obtained in the level Gathering of the Gods, after Sam arrives at Philae.
It serves as a direct replacement of the Sledgehammer from Serious Sam 3: BFE's main levels, and thus is functionally identical to its predecessor in every way, despite being a bladed weapon instead of a blunt-force one. Thus, it retains the Sledgehammer's three different attacks, good use against large groups of low-health enemies, lack of any required ammo to use, and ability to be swung while sprinting.
Unlike the Sledgehammer, the Axe is only seen with a basic wooden shaft; no second variation with a metal grip exists.
"An ordinary chopping axe. Used as a tool or as a silent weapon. Grip here. Slash flesh here. Preferably not yours."
- Use the Axe exactly like the Sledgehammer would be used; briefly, place your hits carefully and a single strike should instantly kill anything up to a Kleer Skeleton (in terms of health).
- Since the weapon retains all three firing modes of a sledgehammer, certain attacks can be extremely useful in various situations, e.g. a full turn swing should be used when the player is cornered or surrounded by horde of weaker enemies.
- Just like the Sledgehammer, the Axe will be swung faster and without the usual wind-up animation if the player's currently in combat, shown by Sam holding the weapon over his head rather than up to his chest.
- For obvious reasons, don't use this on explosive enemies, such as Beheaded Kamikazes.
- The strongest enemies the player should ever use this weapon on are Sirian Werebulls, which take two swings instead of the usual one. Anything else, such as Adult Arachnoids, take too many hits to justify the health you'll lose while fighting one up close.
- The Axe shares the same tactics, combat role and achievements as the Sledgehammer. For more information, go there.