The Beheaded Kamikaze is a common enemy that has appeared in almost every Serious Sam game. The Kamikaze is one of the most prominent (and most revered) enemies in the Serious Sam series.
The Beheaded Kamikaze is an executed Sirian soldier, raised from the dead by Mental and controlled by a "Life Control Unit" (LCU). The head of the Kamikaze has been ruined, therefore, he is employed for suicidal attacks, in the form of fragmentation grenades. In combination of both this and the scream produced by the LCU's basic vocal synthesizer, Kamikazes can both confuse and instill fear in enemy forces. However, the LCU has limited AI and usually cannot discern obstacles, only some cliff faces or sheer drops, leading them to getting stuck regularly or entering friendly fire.
The Beheaded Kamikaze appears as a headless, shirtless humanoid wielding two bombs strapped to each hand.
In both Serious Sam HD and Serious Sam Xbox, the Kamikaze's breast area has a strange black-marking tattoo.
In Serious Sam 3: BFE, the appearance is highly similar to first one, except for the red mechanical eye around the neck base. As in previous games, Kamikazes are extremely threatening enemies in large groups, especially due to the smoke effects from the grenade detonation. However, Kamikazes in this installment are much slower, with the player being able to outrun them by sprinting. They are staggered for longer after getting hit as well.
In Serious Sam 2, the Kamikaze appears as a headless man wearing blue overalls and big boots, with a bomb attached to a spring on his head.
In The First Encounter, Kamikazes are generally common enemies, mostly appearing second to Kleer Skeletons. Considerably dangerous, they tend to appear in groups and solitude. Groups can consist of them spread out from different directions or packed together in a giant mob. The Second Encounter holds this same tradition. In both Serious Sam HD and Serious Sam Xbox, the breast area has a strange black-marking tattoo.
In Serious Sam 2, Kamikazes are much less common than in the previous installments, usually only occuring a few times throughout the game.
In Serious Sam 3: BFE, the Kamikaze is generally a common enemy, like in Serious Sam 1.Thought not as much as the same one. They appear more frequently in later levels of the game.
Attacks and statsEdit
Kamikazes have one purpose: they will run directly at the player, regardless of distance or location, until they are at a close enough range to explode. This detonation occurs at an approximate radius of 2-3 feet. If killed, the Kamikaze will explode.
Kamikazes are very fast, tending to hunt in groups. While extremely weak compared to bigger, tougher enemies, their attacks can devastate a target, ripping through armor and health. They are not immune to their own grenades, however, so if one Kamikaze explodes in a group, it's likely to initiate a chain reaction that sets off the entire swarm.
In all installments of the main series but Serious Sam: The First Encounter, a Kamikaze will sometimes move sideways to dodge your attacks when you merely put your crosshairs on him at medium to close range while rushing straight at you at other times - this tactic may let groups of Kamikazes surround you. Kleer skeletons sometimes employ the same tactic.
- As Kamikazes cannot typically be avoided, they are top priority targets when other enemies are present when Kamikazes are at close to medium range. However, there are times when the enemies shielding Kamikazes may have to be taken out before Kamikazes themselves. Since Kamikazes have low durability and do not have a ranged attack, Beheaded Kamikazes are a medium priority target at far range as enemies with more immediate attacks should be dealt with before them.
- It is possible to maneuver Kamikazes into the line of fire of other enemies to deal while you are preoccupied with other enemies. Lead them into the path of a Major Bio-mechanoid's rockets or Minor Bio-mechanoid's lasers, put them between you and a charging Sirian Werebull, or use them to block Kleer chainballs.
Serious Sam 1 Edit
- Beheaded Kamikazes are extremely easy to kill, though because of their sheer numbers and their tendencies often rush in among other enemies, they should be dispatched of first and foremost. Ideal weapons are the Tommy Gun or other automatic weapons, which usually kill a Kamikaze with two bullets.
- Shotguns have limited effectiveness, as the player will require closer range to use these weapons effectively; it's typically better to use your much more accurate pistols or dual Schofields to eliminate the Kamikaze from far away.
- Explosives are also effective, but because of the Kamikaze's weakness, they are typically unnecessary.
- Using melee weapons, such as the P-LAH Chainsaw or Military Knife, is not recommended. You will be in the Kamikaze's blast radius and lose a significant portion of your health if you use melee weapons.
- Because Kamikazes explode upon death, it's ideal to have them explode near other targets, dealing damage or causing a chain reaction among other Kamikazes.
- Kill them first before focusing your attention on other enemies. Prioritize them more if they come in groups and are closing in within your position.
- If a Kamikaze is almost at detonation range, you can fire at him once with a low powered weapon, such as your pistol. Firing one shot (if he is at or close to full health) will make him flinch, causing him to halt for a moment and giving the player enough time to retreat out of the blast radius and finish him off.
- The same tactic can be used against groups of Kamikazes by shooting the one in front once and then killing it when the rest of the group catches him, taking out the whole swarm.
- In Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter, the player also can fire a shot of Napalm from the XOP Flamethrower to stun Kamikazes if they get too close to player. While the Kamikazes are immobile from the fire damage, the player has a chance to escape before he explodes.
Serious Sam 2 Edit
- The Auto Shotgun is great for a small quantity of Kamikazes.
- Groups of Kamikazes must be dealt with using the Uzi; its quick fire-rate is brilliant to dispatch a large quantity of them.
- Since they are fairly weak, the Colt Anaconda is a viable option.
Serious Sam 3: BFE Edit
- In Serious Sam 3: BFE, depending on the difficulty level, sprinting may allow the player to outrun them if running away in a straight line, avoiding sudden curves.
|Kill at least 5 headless kamikazes in one explosion.|
- Test 1 shows that the Kamikaze had a sharp metallic mechanism attached to his back. In the final version, this is replaced with a different object that connects from the back of his neck down to the end of the spinal column. Aside from this and a small pants and boots re-texturing, Kamikazes retained a very similar appearance to their final state, a trait shared among other headless enemies.
- Ironically, "kamikaze" is Japanese language for "Divine Wind" (神風). This word is referent to the Japanese myth where a Mongolian invasion fleet had been destroyed by a heavy storm. It also refers to a Japanese aviator's suicidal attack on American warships during World War II. Though, the usage of the word is common to American language to refer to suicidal attacks of any kind.
- In all Serious Sam games, Kamikazes are referred to as "Beheaded", but in Serious Sam 3: BFE, the title is changed to "Headless".
- In some games, Kamikazes have appeared in various ways in some secrets. In The Second Encounter, one secret shows it disguised as a bush, and another appearing as a colossus-sized nuke.
- In Serious Sam HD, it's actually possible to exploit the coding to "ride" Beheaded Kamikazes, by timing a careful jump. If performed correctly, the player will land on top of the Kamikaze, and they will continue to try and chase the player above fruitlessly.
Serious Sam 1Edit
Serious Sam HD Edit
Serious Sam 2Edit
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
Serious Sam: Double DEdit
Serious Sam: The Random EncounterEdit
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam 1 (First appearance)
- Serious Sam 2 (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 3: BFE
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam Advance (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam's Bogus Detour (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Double D (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Double D: XXL (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD
- Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Next Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- Serious Sam: The Random Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)