The Hatchling Antaresian Spider is a common enemy that appears in Serious Sam 3: BFE, Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE, and Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope. They are smaller and weaker variants of the Juvenile Antaresian Spider.
Antaresian spiders are a species of arachnid-like aliens originating from a planet know as Antares Prime, which is located in the system of Antares, a red super-giant. As the planet orbits such a massive star, this has lead to the planet’s organisms to grow extremely large in size; the hatchlings themselves are about the size of domestic cats.
Hatchling Antaresian spiders sometimes often found in eggs, or cocoons. These cocoons are very sensitive to noise, but can only detect sounds of up to 89.5 dB. Thus, if a cocoon is destroyed with a firearm, it alerts other spiders in the vicinity, causing other cocoons to hatch, which in turn spawns more hatchling spiders. As hatchlings are very young and still developing, they have weak jaws and undeveloped exoskeletons, and are not considered to be much of a threat. However, they are still dangerous in large numbers.
Compared to other enemies, hatchlings are not as common as juveniles, though they still appear in large packs, as well as cocoons.
"Antaresian Spiders originate from Antares Prime, located in the heart of the Scorpius constellation. Antares is a red super-giant star featuring gigantic planets and gigantic organisms living on them. The jaws in hatchlings are not yet developed, so one individual is not very dangerous. Still, they can be deadly if they swarm you. Glands in their tail can quickly produce large quantities of poisonous acid and squirt it across a distance to unsuspecting prey. The exoskeleton in hatchlings is still underdeveloped, thus they can be easily be squashed if stepped onto with all your weight. Like many other arachnids, Antaresian spiders have adhesive surfaces on their feet, allowing them to cling to walls and ceilings."
Attacks and statsEdit
As hatchlings have adhesive surfaces on their feet, this gives them the ability to walk on the floor and climb walls and ceilings. Its primary attacks are to fire acid balls at a distance while getting close to the player. If they get close to the player, they will bite them. A swarm of hatchlings biting the player can cause a lot of damage if they are not killed soon after.
If the player is close to a spider, pressing the use button (E by default) will make Sam squash the spider with his foot killing it instantly.
- A single Hatchling can be killed any weapon. However, the SOP38 Pistol, 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun and the Sledgehammer work best, as they use very little to no ammo.
- The melee attack is very handy for killing a single Hatchling without using any ammo. This should only be done if there are no other enemies close to the player, as the melee animation makes the player briefly vulnerable when performing it.
- When faced with Hatchling cocoons, a combination of sledgehammer and melee attacks work best to eliminate them. They should be shot only when there are a few of them left, as a small amount of Hatchlings are easy to deal with.
- Groups of Hatchlings can easily be dispatched with either the 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun or M29 Infantry Assault Rifle. One shotgun blast can easily kill multiple Hatchlings, while the assault rifle can slice through a group of them thanks to its good rate of fire and damage.
- With groups of enemies, the Hatchling is little more than a nuisance. As long as the player is moving in a direction, they're harmless. If they get close, the player can simply sprint away from them. Therefore, they are a low priority when mixed with other enemies.
|Squash 10 Hatching Spiders.|
|Perform all possible finishing moves in the game.|
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (First appearance)
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope