"Oh, poor baby. Did somebody step on your anthill?"
~ Sam taunts a Hatchling after killing it.
The Hatchling Arachnoid is an enemy in Serious Sam 3: BFE.
Hatching Arachnoids are newborn Arachnoids. Since they are still developing, they cannot wear armor plating nor have miniguns built into their arms, like their adult counterparts have. To compensate for the lack of built-in miniguns, the Hatchling has one of it's arms cut off and replaced with a minigun. A major weakness is that their necks have not fully developed yet, so one can snap it with enough strength, instantly killing the Hatchling. Hatchlings can also deliver a powerful sting if they are within very close proximity to the player.
Hatchling Arachnoids are smaller and weaker versions of Adult Arachnoids, but in groups, they can pose just as much threat as an Adult one would. What makes them even more dangerous is the fact that they can walk over debris, such as rumble. They follow the same attack pattern as their adult counterparts do; when they spot the target, they will open fire with their minigun, then stop, wait a few seconds, and fire again.
As mentioned, Sam can snap their necks thanks to the new Melee Grab feature, killing the Arachnoid instantly.
"As the war on Earth wore on, Mental had to start pulling younger and younger specimen to satisfy the demand for fresh forces. In younger specimen, the exoskeleton covers the entire body, but is not as tough as that of adults. As they cannot implant augmented armor while they are still growing, juveniles cut one arm off and mount a gun in its place. Their thin neck is a weak spot in juvenile Arachnoids. Their tail sting is a powerful weapon. Stay away from it at all times.
- Long range weapons, such as the M29 Infantry Assault Rifle, work best against the Hatchling. These weapons give the distance necessary for some of their bullets to miss, while you can hit them with very high or perfect accuracy.
- Medium-range Hatchlings can be killed with the XPML21 Rocket Launcher. One shot will gib a Hatchling, and rockets don't take long to travel to their target at medium range. The player may take some damage while the rocket is travelling to the Arachnoid, but this can be avoided by hiding behind something or briefly running away from it's field of vision.
- Close range Hatchlings can be killed with either the Double Barrel Coach Gun or a one-hit kill melee attack. Note that going for a melee kill is a little more dangerous than a Double Barrel Shotgun kill, as the player needs to be right next to the Hatchling in order to do it. This puts them at higher risk of being hit by part of a surprise burst. Melee attacks are still often doable as they tend to appear in locations with significant amount of cover (like in the beginning of Together Forever level).
- Groups of Arachnoids can be dispatched with either the Assault Rifle, C-4 Demolition Charge or the Rocket Launcher. The Assault Rifle works for quickly clearing out Arachnoids beause of it's instant-hit bullets, while the Rocket can be used to quickly lob a rocket at each Hatchling, killing it instantly. Groups of Arachnoids packed together are very vulnerable to a C4 charge, especially if it's very close to them. It's very possible for one C4 to completely wipe out a group of them, depending on how close they are to each other.
- When paired with other enemies, the Hatchling can be quite irritating because of all the bullets they spam. It should be one of the first enemies targeting in order to prevent it from whittling down the player's health while fighting off other enemies, especially if there are multiple Hatchlings or when having low health.
The below list shows how many of this enemy type appears in each game, per difficulty and either single or co-op mode.
|Games||Tourist, Easy and Normal Single Player||Hard and Mental single player||Serious Difficulty single player||Tourist, Easy and Normal Co-op||Hard and Mental Co-Op||Serious Co-Op|
|Serious Sam 3: BFE||138||140||140||141||143||143|
|Name and Icon||Description||Notes|
|Scorpion Slayer||Break 5 Arachnoid necks.|
|Kung-fu Fighter||Perform all possible finishing moves in the game.||Rip a Gnaar's eye out, a Rocketeer's heart out, a Kleer's head off, a Scrapjack's face off, a Juvenile Spider's head off and squash a Hatchling Spider and break a Soldier's neck.|
- Some of the Hatchling's sounds come from the ScorpSoldier.
- Hatchling Arachnoids are one of the few enemies to laugh when the player dies around one.
- Sometimes the Double Barrel won't always instant kill the Hatchling, instead it will lose half of its health.