The Highlander Aludran Reptiloid is a very large enemy that appears in the Serious Sam series. It also serves as the first boss of Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Serious Sam: The Random Encounter.
The Highlander is a large, four-handed bipedal reptilian creature from the Aludran system of Canis Majoris, that has agreed to work for Mental in exchange for magical powers. These powers enable them to cast fireballs that have homing abilities.
Highlanders are more dangerous than Common Aludran Reptiloids, not only because of their large size, but because they also have much more health, deal more damage, and will be enraged when below a specific amount of health, causing them to shoot 6 fireballs per "burst" instead of 3. They're also much faster than Common Aludran Reptiloids, and they can catch up with the player even if they spawn far away.
Highlanders are very rare in Serious Sam: The First Encounter, only appearing alone most of the time. They appear in the Valley of the Kings (one, as a boss), in the Moon Mountains, Dunes (on higher difficulties), and The Great Pyramid (in co-op and on higher difficulties). In Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, they are rather more common, and they can appear even in groups of 2 on higher difficulties. There are 3 (in single-player) or 6 (in co-op) Highlanders in just The Grand Cathedral. They usually spawn away from the player and start walking towards them while constantly shooting magical fireballs.
Attacks and statsEdit
Highlanders have 2 attacks: shooting a burst of fireballs at the player and punching them. They will shoot around to 3 fireballs normally, but when enraged (when their HP is low), they will shoot much faster, and around to double the amount of fireballs. Their fireballs have weak homing abilities, but will explode when impacting with a surface or wall, unlike their Common counterpart's energy balls. Their punch is very deadly and can kill the player in one hit on higher difficulties.
In The First Encounter, the Highlander's fireballs have the same characteristics as that of the Common Aludran Reptiloid's fireballs — they won't bolt straight at the player but will travel in a slow, spinning trajectory and can take sharper turns. This can actually make them difficult to destroy and/or dodge due to their sheer numbers, especially when the Highlander's health is low. They can, however, also be shot down by any weapon, just like those fired by the Commons.
- Constantly strafe in one direction when facing a Highlander Aludran Reptiloid. The Highlander cannot hit you as long as you are constantly moving. These tactics, however, might not be very effective in the classic version of The First Encounter — you just need to eliminate it as fast as possible.
- If you need to change direction while dodging, switch direction as soon as a fireball hits the ground. The delay between the fireballs, even when it's firing them fast, is large enough that you can switch directions without having a fireball hit you while you're changing direction.
- Bombarding the Highlander with a XPML21 Rocket Launcher works well. Just face the Highlander and hold down the fire key, and the sheer number of rockets fired will eventually overwhelm the Highlander, even if a few hit the Highlander's fireballs instead of the actual Highlander.
- In The First Encounter, the minigun might be the best choice for taking down a Highlander when available if you have enough bullets to spare, as you can shoot down all the fireballs whilst they're being fired and keep it under constant fire.
- In Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, use serious speed whenever there is a chance in order to get close it and eliminate the Highlander quickly.
- Never let a Highlander get too close to you, as its melee attack is very powerful and has a long reach.
- Highlanders should be medium-priority targets among other dangerous enemies, such as Major Bio-mechanoids or Fiendian Reptiloid Demons. If they are very far away, their projectiles are easy to dodge. Nevertheless, they should be higher-priority targets the closer they get.
- In The First Encounter, however, they should be considered very high-priority targets due to the homing capabilities of their fireballs.
- In The Second Encounter, they are very resistant to cannonballs.
- The large splash radius of their fireballs means they can still do a medium amount of damage even if it isn't a direct impact. Always make sure to be strafing in the opposite direction of their fireballs, or else there's a high chance that the splash damage from their fireballs will hurt you.
- Because of how deadly its fireballs are, the Highlander should be one of the first enemies targeted in a firefight.
- Anything weaker than the Minigun will barely dent the Highlander. A volley of seven rockets, two charged up shots from the cannon and sustained fired from the Sirian Power Gun usually works best against the Highlander. Other weapons
- If fighting a Highlander one on one, the RAPTOR Sniper Rifle zoomed in can do a lot of damage per shot. It shouldn't be used if there are other enemies nearby because of the long amount of time between shots and the fact it can only hit one enemy at a time.
- Their speed makes them very deadly in close quarters. If one is in a close-quarters area, then it should be the primary target because of its speed and high melee damage.
Serious Sam 1 & Serious Sam HDEdit
Serious Sam: Next EncounterEdit
Serious Sam: The Random EncounterEdit
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam HD
- Serious Sam: Next Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: The Random Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)