The M29 Infantry Assault Rifle, or simply the M29, is a compact, fully automatic assault rifle.
It is the standard issue advanced infantry rifle of the Earth Defense Force, and is widely used and favored due to its stability, accuracy and moderate damage output. It is also used by Cloned Riflemen.
The M29 has a 40-round magazine (50 rounds in Serious Sam Fusion), and is equipped with a foregrip, flashlight and holographic sight, which allows the user to aim down the sights for increased accuracy and zoom in further than the SOP38 Pistol, but with reduced movement speed. The rifle is said to be a hybrid of previous rifle technology innovations.
It is one of the two weapons issued to Cloned Soldiers, the other being the 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun. The soldiers will fire a few shots at medium to far range, and then in shorts bursts when in close range. These shots are not very accurate, however, as the player can dodge the bullets by strafing sideways or hiding behind cover.
The player first acquires the assault rifle in the fourth level of the campaign, No Place to Hide, where it is occasionally dropped by Cloned Riflemen. The weapon can also be obtained in Broken Wings via secrets.
NETRISCA description Edit
"The rifle's main advantages are simple design, fairly compact size and adaptation to mass production. It it best described as a hybrid of previous rifle technology innovations. Gas operated, rotating bolt mechanism provides both rapid fire mode and controlled short bursts. Reflex sight allows for quick target acquisition and easy tracking under all conditions. At 600 rounds per minute, with long range and low dispersion, it is well suited for most combat situations."
- The assault rifle can be used effectively against any medium (e.x. Minor Bio-mechanoids, Hatchling Arachnoids, Kleer skeletons) and light enemies (e.x. Beheaded Kamikazes, Beheaded Rocketeers, Juvenile Antaresian Spiders, Cloned Soldiers) because of its good rate of fire, high accuracy (especially when aiming down the sights) and fairly large magazine. This makes it one of the most versatile weapons in the game and a good choice if the player runs out of ammunition or doesn't want to waste ammo for more specialized weapons.
- It is also handy against some strong enemies, such as the Scrapjack. A single magazine from the gun can do 400 damage if all hits make contact, which is more than half of the Scrapjack and Adult Arachnoid's health.
- When using the M29 at long range, make sure to fire it while using the sights. It has perfect accuracy when looking down the sights, making it ideal for long-range shooting. Otherwise, some rounds will miss. This makes it very powerful against enemies such as the Scythian Witch-Harpy or the Witch-Bride of Achriman, who often appear at long range in the sky.
- Make sure to reload whenever there's a chance. If you have to reload in the middle of a fight, you should hide or take cover behind something to make sure that you'll be safe when reloading. Situations like running out of ammo when facing enemies at close range can be dangerous. This also makes this a less effective choice against a huge horde of weaker enemies that like to move in close for melee range attacks, such as Gnaars and Beheaded Kamikazes, making it less useful in this regard than the Tommy gun or uzi in the previous installments.
- The M29's appearance and function resembles that of the HK416, with a foregrip and EOTech sight.
- The dust cover on the rifle serves no purpose. It is supposed to cover the ejection port on the right but appears on the left of the M29.
- There is a very similar weapon in real life called the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle, which is almost identical in name and appearance to the fictional M29 Infantry Automatic Rifle that appears in the game. The real M27 is a version of the HK416 with a longer barrel. At the time of the game's release, it was rumored that the real M27 would have a lower fire rate equivalent to the in-game M29's to aid in controlling the heat from suppressive fire, though the M27 ended up sharing the HK416's 850 to 900 rounds per minute.
- The early model of this weapon had a non-functioning laser sight attachment
- The Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE version of the M29 also has laser sights.
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (First appearance)
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE