|MK III Grenade Launcher|
75 (grenade direct impact) + 0-100 (blast radius), 4 (grenade extra damage, depending on charge).
|Maximum Ammunition held||
50 (Normal, Hard and Mental), 100 (other difficulties)
"Hey guys, let's play hot potato!"
~ Sam after he obtains the Grenade Launcher.
- Weapon: MKIII Grenade Launcher
- Ammo: 40mm High Explosive rounds
- ROF: variable
A reliable infantry grenade thrower with adjustable launching speed. MKIII is designed to deliver highly explosive grenades over obstacles and around corners, whilst reducing the chance of the operator being hurt by the projectile. A smart impact detector detonates the grenade on impact with a live target, but not with a wall.
- Tap the trigger for slow launching or hold it down to deliver at longer ranges
- Wide range explosions are effective against large masses of enemies
- Bounce grenades around corners or lob them over walls
AMMO: 40mm High Explosive Rounds
RATE OF FIRE: Variable
Further refinement on the MK II Grenade Launcher has allowed Shofield to produce the most comprehensive grenade system in the galaxy. The patented Compression Chamber system allows the user to vary the distance over which grenades are fired by varying the time the trigger is held.
This model allows three different types of grenade to be launched once the relevant ammo is collected:
Standard rounds will explode on contact if they collide with enemies or within seconds of impact otherwise.
The Limpet Grenade will stick to any flat surface it lands on and detonate when it detects movement within a 5m radius.
Spider Mines have an extendable set of legs and an on-board AI that will seek out the nearest bionic life form within its 10m sensory range.
- The MK III fires one grenade per shot. Grenades will either explode upon contact with an enemy or three seconds after it has been fired.
- Grenades can ricochet across different walls for surprise attacks on enemies hiding around corners. This can be a handy trick to avoid direct contact with dangerous targets such as Arachnoids.
- The distance the grenade goes depends on how long the player holds the fire key. If the fire key is not held at all, the grenade will will just drop out of the barrel and bounce a few feet to get some distance. However, if the fire key is held as long as possible, the grenade will fly out of the gun at great speed and will cover a medium distance before it hits the ground.
- A fully-charged grenade deals more damage than a rocket.
- Grenade launcher's splash damage is larger than rocket launcher's splash damage. This means it has more potential dealing damage to dense groups of enemies than rockets.
- A charged up grenade can be very useful against strong and slow enemies, such as Major Biomechanoids. Grenades are more powerful and travel at a faster rate than a rocket does. However, the charge time gives the MK III a lower rate of fire compared to the Rocket Launcher.
- A shot of grenade can also effectively take down a single Cucurbito the Pumpkin, compared to two shots from XPML21 Rocket Launcher on it.
- Uncharged grenades can be used for quickly taking down tightly-packed weak enemies at any range or for large groups of medium-strength enemies, such as Kleer Skeletons at close range. However, the player should ensure he/she keeps a distance while firing the grenade due to the possibility of accidentally inflicting self-damage by the grenade's blast radius.
- A charged up grenade can be useful against a tight flock of Scythian Witch Harpies at long range. One grenade can gib up to four Harpies at once, though the explosions will separate any surviving Harpies.
Behind the scenesEdit
- A different skin for the grenade ammo box can be found in Test 1's files. It has the Mk III's HUD ammo icon on it, which explains where the HUD's icon originates.