The Marsh Hopper is an enemy that appears in Serious Sam 1, Serious Sam HD and Serious Sam: Double D. They are rather small and easy to defeat, but swarms of them can quickly overwhelm or even kill the player.
Marsh Hoppers are a species of small terrestrial amphibians native to the planet Rigil Kentaurus. When it spots an enemy, it will hop towards the target until they get close enough, where it will jump on them and explode, releasing toxic slime that is stored in its intestines.
In-game, Hoppers have very low health, making them extremely easy to kill. However, Hoppers are always released in large hordes. This makes them very dangerous, as they can quickly jump on the player in succession and inflict a lot of damage in a very short amount of time. On higher difficulties, a group of Hoppers jumping on the player almost at once can quickly kill a player with 80%+ health and no armor.
İn Serious Sam: The First Encounter, the Hoppers appear in most of the levels after the second level. The same thing goes for The Second Encounter.
On the level the Tower of Babel, there is a giant secret Marsh Hopper called the 'Mighty Gizmo' that will spawn extremely small Marsh Hoppers when it has been killed. You have to kill them quickly, or else you will be swarmed by hundreds of Hoppers and they will cause a lot of damage.
Serious Sam 1Edit
- When fighting Marsh Hoppers, the player must always be on the move. Hoppers can quickly catch up to the player if they stop moving.
- You must always be aware of their surroundings when fighting off Marsh Hoppers. Hoppers can easily sneak up on you because their sounds are not location-based and will always sound the same, whether the Hopper is behind or in front of the player.
- Groups can be dealt with by using either the M1A2 Thompson or the XPML21 Rocket Launcher. Smaller groups can be taken out with dual Schofields. The rocket launcher is effective because Marsh Hoppers easily stick together in tight groups, which makes them vulnerable to a rocket's splash damage. However, the player should only fire the Rocket Launcher at a distance because there is a chance of a Hopper jumping in front of a rocket at the last moment if fired close to Hoppers.
- It may be tempting to use the XM214-A Minigun against large hoards of Hoppers, but it is actually a waste of ammo. It takes one bullet to kill a Hopper, and the minigun's high rate of fire will ensure that a few rounds will be wasted while switching to another Hopper. If one must use the minigun, try to fire in bursts.
- While Hoppers may explode when they die, the explosion they make if they die does almost no damage, even at point blank range. Their explosions only do damage if they hop onto the player.
- In the Second Encounter, the P-LAH Chainsaw can make a quick work of even a large MarshHopper group. When no other enemies are present, it's often a good idea to retreat in the corner and point the chainsaw diagonally upward, making it very hard to get hit.
- With other enemies, Marsh Hoppers are a medium-priority threat. Their attacks can be dodged but it may sometimes prove difficult.
- It may be useful to crouch while fighting Marsh Hoppers. While crouching, Marsh Hoppers are at your eye level and you don't have to angle your weapon down to hit them.
Serious Sam: Double DEdit
- Rapid-fire weapons, such as the Thompson Submachine Gun, are the best weapons to use against Marsh Hoppers. They can be quickly cut down by the rapid fire gun's slew of projectiles they fire thanks to their very low health.
- The best strategy for them it to avoid them as much as possible. They can inflict a significant amount of damage quickly and usually appear in close-quarters areas, making it extremely difficult to dodge their attacks. Try to move forwards while killing any frogs that are following the player or the occasional one or two Marsh Hoppers that try to get in front of the player. The large amount of damage Marsh Hoppers can do if multiple ones quickly attack is simply not worth fighting them for.
- Marsh Hoppers are difficult to dodge because their large jump length makes it difficult to jump over them. In almost every case, killing them is much faster and easier than trying to dodge their jump attack.
- The Marsh Hopper is called "Gizmo" in the game files.
Serious Sam 1 & Serious Sam HDEdit
Serious Sam: Double DEdit
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam HD
- Serious Sam: Double D (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Double D: XXL (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam's Bogus Detour (Non-canonical appearance)