The Pterodactyl is an enemy in Serious Sam: Double D.
The Pterodactyl is a stereotypical Pterodactyl that leisurely flies around in a set pattern. When it hits the end of it's patrol, it will switch and fly in the opposite direction until it hits the end of that patrol, then will go back in the original direction it was moving, and so on. They cannot be harmed by any weapons.
However, in Dino Switcharoo, the Pterodactyl will be replaced with a more lethal version that will follow a target. When the Pterodactyl gets close enough, it will drop a powerful bomb. These bombs can be blown up by shooting them.
Like the Therizinosaurus, the enemy Pterodactyl can be turned good by shooting it's mask off. This lets the Pterodactyl follow the player and drop bombs when they get close enough.
- Normal Pterodactyls are often used as moving platforms to help the player get over obstacles or even to reach secrets. Usually, Pterodactyls that are moving in what appears to be the middle of nowhere are actually flying to a secret or another Pterodactyl that leads to a secret.
- When using a Pterodactyl as a platform, remember that the player will fall off if they are on it when it changes directions. Pterodactyls will flap their wings before they change direction.
- When a Pterodactyl is flapping it's wings, jump. A jump will be long enough that it'll keep the player in the air when its changing directions, which'll prevent them from falling off and let the player land as soon as it starts moving in the opposite direction.
- Bombs tossed by enemy Pterodactyls can be dodged by running in the direction the Pterodactyl is moving, running under it between bombings, or its bombs can be blown up by shooting them.
- Shooting off a Pterodactyl's mask can be handy. A combination of a "good" Pterodactyl and a Therizinosaurus can help the Therizinosaurus defeat an enemy it is targeting or help add some extra damage while the player attacks an enemy.
- The enemy Pterodactyl has a medium amount of health, so weapons such as the Thompson Submachine Gun are effective against it, especially when there's more than one of them in a stack.
- When paired with other enemies, the Pterodactyl is a medium threat. It's bombs are powerful, but its speed makes it easy to avoid it while avoiding other enemies and their projectiles and it's projectiles can be blown up by shooting them if the Pterodactyl does get close.