"Long-range weapon for long-term relationships."
The RAPTOR is a powerful sniper rifle used by the Earth Defense Force. Its 16mm armor-piercing Kevlar-coated bullets will pass right through most small to medium-sized enemies in Mental's forces.
The RAPTOR fires a single bullet every time the fire key is pressed. There is a brief pause between shots while the player chambers a new round in. After that, the gun can be fired again.
The weapon has a scope that lets the player zoom in to either 8.0x (SS1) or 4.0x (SS2 and later). The scope itself has a crosshair that shows where the center of the screen is. On the lower left-hand side of the scope is a triangle that will change color depending on the gun's state; it will be green if the gun is ready to fire, while it will be red during the reload animation.
In Serious Sam II and HD, the damage the RAPTOR does depends on if the player is using the scope or not; if the player is not using the scope, each shot is about as powerful as a 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun blast. If the rifle is fired while the scope is being used, it will be almost as powerful as two rockets. Either way, the weapon will always be perfectly accurate, like most bullet-firing weapons. This is in contrast to its original appearance, where the weapon dealt the same amount of damage regardless of whether it is zoomed in or not, but would fire wildly off-center from the crosshair if firing without the scope.
In Serious Sam 3: BFE, the RAPTOR Sniper is obtained only as a secret weapon in 2 levels. The weapon sees an increase to damage and is now semiautomatic instead of bolt-action. Like in the original First and Second Encounter, the weapon now does the same damage scoped as it does unscoped; to compensate however, the weapon is now extremely inaccurate when unscoped, having a wider spread than even the Pump-Action Shotgun.
In Jewel of the Nile DLC, the RAPTOR comes back as a normal weapon, along with the Lasergun. On October 15th, about a month before the release of Jewel of the Nile, a patch was released which mostly focused on upgrading the SS3 RAPTOR from holding only 10 bullets in Normal-Hard-Serious-Mental difficulties, to holding 20. This mostly makes its appearance better in Jewel of the Nile, but it still appears only as a secret weapon in the regular campaign.
Differently from other games, SS3's Sniper ammo pickups only give 3 bullets per box/pack, while in SS1, SS2 and SS:HD it gives 5 bullets (10 in Tourist, Easy and Serious difficulty).
The sniper rifle in SS3 was probably going to be reloadable at one point, you can see it if you open its file in Serious Editor 3.5 and enable the "Shoots to reload" parameter, According to its animation, it was probably going to have the same reload animation as the Shotgun in SS3.
- Weapon: RAPTOR 16mm Sniper
- Ammo: 16mm AP Sniper Bullets
- ROF: Manual
- Range: 1400 yds
The RAPTOR Sniper is one of the most powerful long range weapons in the world. The 16mm armor piercing kevlar coated bullets will pass right through most known armor types. It causes instant death to small and mid-sized species.
The Raptor has an automatic excess pressure exhaust mechanism that will lower the exit speed of the bullet when it is not fired from a balanced sniping mode. This provides maximum safety and minimizes injuries to the weapons wielder.
- Be sure to use the Raptor in sniping (zoom) mode, since it will deliver much more damage when fired this way
- Using the sniper on bigger nasties like Biomechanoids, Lava Elementals,... is much less effective
AMMO: 16mm AP
RATE OF FIRE: Single Action, Manual Reload
The highly accurate Raptor Sniper Rifle is fitted with a crystal clear telescopic lens and digital image enhancement so you can ensure you see the whites of their alien eyes before you fire. The armor piercing bullets will make mincemeat of anything in their path, so just line up your target, breathe, and squeeze the trigger to get your one shot kill.
The telescopic lens is activated by holding down [bound key] to zoom. Pressing it again will return to normal view.
"The RAPTOR Sniper is one of the most powerful long-range weapons in the world. The 16mm armor-piercing, Kevlar coated bullets will pass right through most known armor types. A flexible 2x-4x zoom ratio allows the shooter to choose between a larger peripheral field of view and more precise aim at longer distances. The use of auto-stabilizing, rapid-fire mechanism allows one to fire an entire clip without taking their eye off the scope."
- The RAPTOR is excellent for thinning out a horde of weak/medium strength enemies from a distance, such as Kleer Skeletons and Scythian Witch-Harpies. However, if the horde is getting close to the player, they should switch to another weapon because the RAPTOR is not very effective in close quarters.
- Individual medium-strength enemies, such as Zumb'uls, Arachnoids, Werebulls and Minor Bio-mechanoids can also be quickly defeated with this weapon. This can be quite useful for quickly eliminating single to medium-sized groups of medium-strength enemies, especially if they are faraway.
- Its scope makes the RAPTOR a great weapon to locate and kill enemies placed faraway from the player, such as Fiendian Reptiloid Demon.
- Despite what NETRICSA says, the RAPTOR is moderately useful against large enemies such as Major Biomechanoids, being able to defeat these enemies in roughly four shots. Despite that, it's more ammo-efficient to use the Rocket Launcher on said large enemies, as the rounds for the RAPTOR are best spent elsewhere.
The Second Encounter HDEdit
|Name and Icon||Description||Notes|
|Bird Hunter||Kill 100 Harpies with the Sniper rifle.||-|
Serious Sam 3Edit
|Name and Icon||Description||Notes|
|Vista||Find the Vista secret.||It's located in The Power of the Underworld.|
- In Serious Sam 1 and Serious Sam 2, the RAPTOR is actually a modified Heckler & Koch HK41, a semi-automatic version of the Heckler & Koch G3. The only difference between these is the SS1 version having a wood and chrome finish and the SS2 version having a dark green and black coloration (as well as different scope sizes).
- In Serious Sam: Next Encounter, the weapon model resembles a Steyr AUG assault rifle.
- In Serious Sam 3: BFE, the weapon model is a GIAT FR F2, a French 7.62 NATO bolt-action sniper rifle.
- In Serious Sam 3 this gun, as well as all its ammo, appear only in secrets. It can normally not be found outside of the Jewel of the Nile levels.
- In Serious Sam 3, despite the FR F2 being bolt-action, the weapon is fired semiautomatically.
- Additionally, due to the firing sound simply being a cleaner version of TSE's, the player will hear a 'bolt' being primed if they wait long enough after firing a shot, despite no animation accompanying it.
Serious Sam 1Edit
Serious Sam: The Next EncounterEdit
Serious Sam 2Edit
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit