|Maximum Ammunition held||
"Mister Smith, Mister Wesson, glad you could make it."
~ Sam obtaining the Pistol.
The SOP38 Pistol is a weapon in Serious Sam 3: BFE
The Pistol is a special-issue pistol that has been used effectively across the universe. It has 10 rounds in its magazine, but has unlimited ammo. The player is able to use its iron sights in order to make more accurate shots. The Pistol's power appears to be equal to the Schofield .45's, as it takes two shots from the Pistol to kill a Beheaded Kamikaze; the same as the Schofield .45. Unlike the Schofield .45, however, it can't be dual wielded, but its fast firing rate and clip size more than make up for it.
It is first found in Summer in Cairo near the remains of a fallen soldier.
"This special issue of Special Operations Pistol from 2038 has proven its combat effectiveness on numerous battlefields across the universe. The .45 ACP rounds are good enough for last-resort defense or elimination of weaker enemies. With a very efficient semi-automatic mechanism, its ROF is virtually only limited by the speed of your trigger-finger. This small gem can unload a burst of damage into an opponent, but its small magazine capacity precludes its use in massive fights."
- Iron sights are needed for long-range shots. Otherwise, the bullet will most likely miss.
- It is only effective against very weak enemies such as Beheaded Rocketeers, Beheaded Kamikazes, Cloned Soldiers, and Hatchling Spiders.
- The Pistol is effective against close-range Beheaded Kamikazes. One shot will stun them, giving the player enough room to get far enough away to shoot and kill the Kamikaze while away from its explosion radius.
- Its infinite ammo makes it useful for when the player is either out of ammo or wants to conserve ammo in levels where ammo is scarce, such as Into the Spider's Nest or the start of The Lost Temples of Nubia.
- In Tourist Difficulty, it kills Beheaded Rocketeers, Kamikazes and Cloned Soldiers with one shot.
- Keeping track of how many pistol shots are necessary to kill an enemy can be very helpful in Serious mode. This could allow you to use the pistol to quickly dispatch an enemy when they are a reasonable distance away, before they become a real threat, and before you need to use finite ammo to kill them.
- It is the only weapon in the game with infinite ammunition, but does not say if it's fitted with the Techno-Magical Ammunition Replenisher (TMAR) like the Schofield .45 . However, the Pistol still has to be reloaded like before.
- The SOP38 had a different model in the demo on the GC.
- The SOP38 appears to be modelled after the Desert Eagle, though it has a larger magazine size than any real-life variation of the Desert Eagle and is chambered in .45 ACP.
- Even though Sam refers to the pistols as Smith & Wesson, an American company that produces revolver-type handguns, the IMI Desert Eagle was not designed by S&W, but the Israel Military Industries (IMI) and Magnum Research.
- The grip has Serious Sam's logo on it.