- "Sam I am!"
- ―Sam Stone
Sam "Serious" Stone is the main protagonist of the Serious Sam series, and a living legend to the Earth's resistance against Mental. He was a captain of the Earth Defense Force, a small military organization who tried to defend themselves from Mental's alien army. After slaying massive hordes of Mental's hordes, he becomes a legendary hero and a legend for Earth.
With extreme bravery, Sam Stone fights massive swarms of enemies, wounded countless times, he still does so. Because he is a man with skills! He was sent back in Egypt, to find a spaceship, hidden by Sirians on planet Titan, and go to the planet Sirius to assassinate Mental, to prevent the invasion on Earth, and its annihilation. Unfortunately, a Crate Bus full of Croteam Heads crashed into the SSS Centerprice, the spaceship that lead to Sirius. Then he took the Holy Grail and activated the back-up spaceship. Then the wizards summoned him, and gave him another quest. He finally went to Sirius, but Mental escaped when he arrived at the Mental Institution and destroyed it.
The First EncounterEdit
Sam was teleported back in Ancient Egypt to find the spaceship, hidden by Sirians, and use it to travel to Sirius and assassinate Mental. First of all, he had to collect four magical elements which were needed for his entry in Memphis. After collecting all of the elements, Sam fought his way to the Memphis Metropolis and the Temple of Ptah. There, in the temple, lay the Amon-Ra Sign. Neither Sam nor NETRICSA knew its purpose, but they headed towards Thebes. After days of walking in the desert, Sam finally reached the Alley of the Sphinxes, where he placed the four elements onto the four respective altars, in a giant yard, and summoned an ancient guardian of death. After destroying it, Sam proceeded to Karnak, where he found some Sirian hieroglyphs, which NETRICSA translated. They said that the Sirians themselves did not live in Karnak, but in Luxor, so Sam went there, and found a Transmitter, which he used to call the Sirian Spaceship. After clearing his way to The Great Pyramid, he encountered a giant warlock, whom he defeated, and then proceeded to get teleported aboard the Spaceship, and departed for Sirius. Or so he thought.
The Second EncounterEdit
As Sam was traveling aboard the Sirian spaceship, a Crate Bus full of Croteam Heads crashed onto it, bringing it down. The spaceship crash-landed into South America. Fortunately for him, Sirians left a backup Spaceship in case something happened to the original, but it was in a different time period.
Luckily, they also left a Time-Lock to each major civilization that lived on Earth, one of them being the Mayan civilization. The Mayan Time-Lock was in Teotihuacan, in the Sun Pyramid. Sam fought his way to Teotihuacan, where he encountered and defeated Kukulkan, and the Wind God activated the Time-Lock for him and allowed him to use it.
After traveling in time, again, Sam finds himself in Persia. He's at a Ziggurat, and from there he must fight his way to the Tower of Babel, where the Persian Time-Lock resides, along with an ancient monstrosity. After killing the abomination, Sam used the Time-Lock, and travels forward in time, in Medieval Europe.
There lies the "Book of Wisdom", which contains information on where the Holy Grail is, which is needed to activate the second spaceship. After fighting his way through The Citadel and The Land of the Damned, Sam locates the Ice Castle where the Holy Grail is kept. But, it has been stolen by someone, and placed elsewhere. Sam, fighting his way through the Corridor of Death, reaches the Grand Cathedral, defeats Mordekai, the last obstacle in his way to the second spaceship, gets the Holy Grail, and makes a confession to Mental. Afterwards, he flies off to Sirius once again...or so to say.
Serious Sam 2Edit
The three Wizards, Rolanda, Jebadiah and Rajiv, summoned Sam in their sanctuary, where they assigned a mission to him: Recover The Medallion, the only artifact that can destroy Mental. The Medallion was scattered on many planets; one piece was given to Simbas of Planet M'digbo, which was stolen by Kwongo, another piece was given to the Zixies of planet Magnor, which was stolen by Zum-Zum, the third piece was given to the residents of planet Chi-Fang, which was taken by Prince Chan, the fourth one was given to Count Kleerofski, of Planet Kleer, and the final piece was given to Cecil, a dragon in Planet Ellenier. Sam, after fighting his way through all those planets, collects all the pieces of the Medallion and completes it.
Then, he's summoned to Kronor, from where he must use the Kronor Cannon to temporarily disable Sirius' shield. He encounters and destroys Hugo, a guardian robot. After disrupting Sirius' shield, he flies, along with the Alliance fleet, to Sirius. Unfortunately, only he makes it, as the shield recharges and 2 alliance pilots lose their lives impacting with it. He then must proceed to the Shield Generator and deactivate the shield, but he's caught in a trap, and is forced to compete in games for Mental's entertainment. He escapes, though, and heads for the Mental Institution. When he enters it, he has a little talk with Mental, and then he shoots him. But, as it seems, it was only a radio that Mental was speaking from, or had already pre-recorded it, to delay Sam, so it could escape.
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
Sam was on an UH-60 Black Hawk to escort him to the Cairo museum and secure Professor Stein, who, as he claimed, had found a way to power up the Time-Lock. Sam's chopper was shot down, and his comrades were killed in the process before entering the museum. So, he went to rescue Professor Stein by himself. Unfortunately, Professor Stein was already killed by Antaresian Spiders, but Sam used his cellphone to upload the data the Professor found to HQ. After he headed outside the museum for extraction, fighting his way to the Ibn Tulun Mosque, Sam's extraction (a chopper) almost landed, but was shot down by a Major Bio-mechanoid. He tried to find and secure the chopper and rescue the pilot, but it was already too late, as a Technopolip "hijacked" and became one with the chopper. Sam later shot it down. Afterwards, Sam made his way through the city of Cairo to the Great Pyramid, but encountered a Warship on his way. He damaged it, but it escaped. Then Sam proceeded to the Sphinx, which he blew up with C4 and found a secret chamber within, built by Sirians, along with "The Arrow". He then headed outside for extraction. Hellfire came in with her chopper and transported Sam over to the Temple of Karnak, where he had to activate the Horus Generator. After activating it, he continued his journey to Luxor.
When he arrived at Luxor, he activated the Anubis generator, and re-encountered the warship he fought against in Cairo. This time, Sam destroyed it. After his extraction arrived, Sam and Wilson were flying over dunes, when a Major Bio-mech shot them down. Sam lost all his equipment, and could not contact HQ. He fought his way in the dunes and into a tomb. When he exited the tomb, he found a way to communicate with HQ, but only to find that they had been ambushed by Mental's forces. Sam, as the last human on Earth, reached the Time-Lock to travel back in time. He found a car and filled it with gas, and headed for the Temple of Hatshepsut. After waves and waves of non-stop enemies, Sam reached the Time-Lock, with only one obstacle in his way; Ugh-Zan IV. He killed it, and flew (with the jetpack) to the Time-Lock.
Sam made a quick phone-call to Mental, but his daughter, Judy, picked up the phone and asked Sam to leave a message. Sam said he wanted to her to tell Mental that "Sam is coming over to play. And by play, I mean kill him." Judy asked him if he is serious, to which he replies, "Why yes. As a matter of fact, I am." With scant few seconds before the Earth is "mooned" by Mental (Mental literally sent the Moon hurtling towards the Earth), Sam jumped into the Time-Lock, sending him back in time, to Ancient Egypt.
The First EncounterEdit
Sam wore shades, and had a shirt. He also wore jeans and of course, there were the infamous red sneakers.
The Second EncounterEdit
Sam did not wear shades, but he did retain his overall look from the last game.
Serious Sam: XboxEdit
Sam had a whole different look, new face, new shirt, same jeans and red sneakers. And no shades.
Serious Sam 2Edit
Sam had (almost) the same appearance as he had in Serious Sam: Xbox, only with ""Serious Sam II" written in the back of his t-shirt.
Serious Sam HDEdit
Yet another new look, he looked unshaved, he has a t-shirt with sleeves, except for the left sleeve, which was ripped and he had a Serious Bomb tattoo on his arm. No shades. Jeans and red sneakers are the same, of course.
Serious Sam: Double DEdit
For an unknown reason, Sam seems to be much older than in the other games. He is a lot more thin than in the other games, has a white beard on his chin, longer hair, the same t-shirt from Serious Sam 1 and his signature jeans, but the jeans seem to be longer. He is also covered in bandages.
Serious Sam: The Random EncounterEdit
Sam wears the same outfit from Serious Sam 2, but he is much fatter and bigger than in the other games.
Serious Sam 3: BFEEdit
Sam now looks younger, most likely because the game takes place before the First Encounter (hence the name), and wears red sunglasses, leather gloves, a watch on his left hand (later covered by a Sirian bracelet), a simple white t-shirt with his logo faded on the back, jeans with two pockets, and kneepads on both legs
- He likes bananas, as he said multiple times in Serious Sam 2 (in Ursul Gardens, when gathering bananas, and in Shield Generator, where he was lured and captured by a rope-trap with a banana as bait).
- He addresses the minigun and pump-action shotgun as "his old loves". (The pump-action shotgun in The Second Encounter when first picking it up in Sierra de Chiappas and the minigun in Serious Sam 3: BFE when first picking it up in The Dark Bride).
- His left foot is bigger than his right foot and has a birthmark in a "very delicate spot", according to his biography in Serious Sam 2.
- He hates puzzles, according to The Random Encounter, where in the second level he must acquire a key to open a door, and crates, according to The Second Encounter when he finds Croteam's secret crate bus in Sierra de Chiappas.
- His nickname was "Hairy" back in high-school, and it apparently had something to due with goats, according to a conversation he had with Quinn in Jewel of the Nile.
- He sarcastically remarks how much he 'likes' keys, as he has to pick up a lot of keys throughout the Jewel of the Nile campaign.
- Sam wears sneakers that are very similar to Chuck Taylor All stars.
- Sam was intended to appear in the Duke Nukem Forever singleplayer DLC as a small easter egg, but was cut. Sam's appearance in the DLC was to be just a severed head with a Joker-like smile drawn on his face and Duke was to say "why so serious?" to Sam. Later, in Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour, Sam appears as he did on The First Encounter boxart as a limbless carcass without the Joker makeup (likely due to copyright reasons). Duke then says to him, "why so serious, Sam?".
- According to Mental, he is likely Mental's son due to his inhuman fighting abilities against Mental's army.
List of appearancesEdit
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (First appearance)
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam: Xbox (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Advance (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Next Encounter (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Double D (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam: Double D: XXL] (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 2 (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam HD
- Serious Sam 3: BFE
- Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
- Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
- Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
- Serious Sam 3 VR: BFE
- Serious Sam Fusion
- Serious Sam’s Bogus Detour (Non-canonical appearance)
- I Hate Running Backwards (Non-canonical appearance)
- Tormental (Non-canonical appearance)
- Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass