The Scythian Witch-Harpy appears as a metal bikini-wearing woman with feathered wings, clawed hands, and taloned feet. She is a female clone of a long extinct Scythian race created by Mental. They are trained in casting magic spells and close quarters combat. Despite being able to use projectiles, the Harpy's AI makes her lean toward getting in close and using her melee attack.
If a Harpy is shot in the wings enough times, she will fall to the ground and continue attacking, then fly back up a few minutes later.
Harpies have two attacks: throwing a slow magic projectile and kicking.
- Alone or in small groups, Harpies are easy to take down. Dual Schofield .45s can kill a Harpy with one magazine, while one scoped RAPTOR Sniper Rifle shot can kill one. Close-range Harpies can be killed with either the 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun or the Double Barrel Coach Gun. The Military Knife and Chainsaw can be more useful as the knife kills a harpy with a single hit and chainsaw stuns the group of harpies.
- Large groups can easily be dispatched with the M1A2 Thompson. It's accuracy is perfect, and its rate of fire is high enough to cause significant damage without wasting too much ammo.
- Very large swarms can be rounded up by circle strafing. Firing a single grenade in the middle of a dense swarm will kill quite a few Harpies and damage several others.
- With other enemies, Harpies are a low threat. Their projectiles are very easy to dodge, and they usually spawn so far away that it'll take a while before they get close for a melee attack, even though they are fast. However, if they are close, they should be eliminated ASAP because their melee attack is much more powerful than their projectiles are.
- A grounded Harpy can be quite dangerous because of her quick speed and her small size, which makes it difficult to discern her from hoards of stronger enemies. If the player spots a Harpy falling to the ground, they should try to kill her before she can get close to them.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Scythian Witch-Harpy had a very different model in Test 1. It is lower-poly and has a completely different skin. It appears that the beta model's animations weren't properly synced to her speed.
- In Test 2, the Harpy uses the final model but the Test 1 animations.
- Later promo art shows the final Harpy, but with a different helmet and/or face.
- The Harpy had a stronger counter-part, the Dragonman, in early versions of the game. It can be seen in early screenshots and its code is included with the SDK.
The Second Encounter HDEdit
|Name and Icon||Description||Notes|
|Bird Hunter||Kill 100 Harpies with the Sniper rifle.||-|
- The Scythian Witch-Harpy's breasts have a very noticeable jiggle when moving, both in the sky and on the ground.
- Harpy (SS2) – The Serious Sam 2 equivalent of this enemy.
- Scythian Witch-Harpy (SS3) - The Serious Sam 3: BFE version of this enemy.