"Hey baby! Was your daddy a pilot? Because you are...really freakin' ugly!"
~ Sam after seeing the Harpy for the first time.
The Scythian Witch-Harpy is an enemy that appears in Serious Sam 3: BFE.
The Scythian Witch-Harpy is a female clone of an extinct species. At first glance, it appears to be a topless human woman with wings. However, this is a facade; the real, monstrous face is hidden behind the woman's face, and the breasts are actually fake because the Ornithodira subgroub they belong to does not have animals with mammary glands in their breasts. The human-like qualities of the Harpy are actually done to attract primate-like species as prey. These changes are not found on the Harpy that appears in the past, suggesting that either the Harpy was radically altered by Mental in the present or this is a different species entirely.
"A female clone of a long extinct Scythian race. A Witch-Harpy is trained in close combat and casting combat spells. The attractive appearance is a facade used to attract prey, which is then devoured using its much less attractive real mouth. Since Harpies belong to the Ornithodira subgroup, their breasts do not contain mammary glands. They are just additional misleading features to attract prey of specific primate species. The sharp claws can be very dangerous. Fly-by-attacks are best countered with a double-shotgun blast."
The Harpy has two attacks; tossing a magic projectile and charging towards a target. The Harpy will usually toss a projectile, then quickly start moving towards an enemy so that it can charge at it.
- The Harpy's projectile and melee attack can be dodged by strafing at an angle. Strafing at an angle is better than simply strafing one direction because it prevents a Harpy from charging the player from a direction they can't look at.
- The M29 Infantry Assault Rifle is an excellent weapon against Harpies. It has perfect accuracy when looking down the iron sights, letting the player hit the Harpy no matter where she is. It also has a good rate of fire, letting the player quickly tear through a Harpy. However, when using the Assault Rifle, note that the Harpy recoils downward and back when shot, so the player should make sure to slightly move the gun downward when they first hit the Harpy so that they don't waste a few bullets.
- Harpies charging at the player can be dispatched with the Double Barrel Coach Gun in one hit if most of the pellets connect. This is handy when the player is being attacked by Harpies at close range, no matter how many there are.
- Sledgehammer and axe kill harpy in one hit. To hit them reliably, it is recommended to move towards them. Trying to hit them while sidestepping is very difficult.
- The XPML21 Rocket Launcher works well against groups of Harpies. One rocket will kill a Harpy and damage the others. A follow-up rocket can kill two or more because of the damage from the first rocket.
- In Jewel of the Nile DLC, Sirian Mutilator works well against harpies that are close.
- C4 is even more effective at throwing one in the middle of a dense swarm, as it can kill several of them.
- When paired with other enemies, harpies are a medium-threat at close range and low-priority threat at longer range. Their projectiles are easy to dodge while trying to dodge other attacks, and their melee attack isn't that damaging and can easily be avoided. Also, since they are airborne enemies, aiming upwards can distract from more dangerous ground-based enemies. They should be taken out whenever the player gets a chance or when they get too close.
The below list shows how many of this enemy type appears in each game, per difficulty and either single or co-op mode.
|Games||Tourist, Easy and Normal Single Player||Hard and Mental single player||Serious Difficulty single player||Tourist, Easy and Normal Co-op||Hard and Mental Co-Op||Serious Co-Op|
|Serious Sam 3: BFE||63||63||63||63||63||63|
- Scythian Witch-Harpy (SS1) - the Serious Sam 1 and Serious Sam HD version of this enemy.
- Harpy (SS2) - enemy in Serious Sam 2 that is very similar to this enemy.