The Sledgehammer is a melee weapon in Serious Sam 3: BFE.
The Sledgehammer is the first weapon that Sam gets in the campaign. It is obtained in the level Summer in Cairo, after Sam falls out of the helicopter.
Despite being a melee weapon, the amount of attacks it has make it a versatile choice for clearing multiple weak enemies in groups, making it significantly more useful than the combat knife of previous games. It is also the only weapon the player can use while sprinting at the same time.
It has three separate attacks: a swift downwards swing that, if enemies are close together in front of you, can kill/damage multiple enemies at once; a horizontal right-to-left swipe that can take out multiple enemies at a time; and by pressing the reload key, a spinning swing that can clear multiple enemies within close proximity all around the player. Each attack has a varying speed of execution, with the downward and spinning swing taking slightly more time to initiate.
There are two varieties of Sledgehammers; one with a wooden shaft, and one made entirely of metal which is obtained late in the campaign. They are identical in statistics and performance.
"An ordinary sledgehammer. Used as a tool or as a silent weapon. Hold on this side. Smash heads on this side. Watch your toes."
- When the player is not around enemies, performing swings will take much more time. However when in close proximity to hostiles, Sam will automatically raise the sledgehammer above his head, removing the wind-up animation from the swing, and causing the swing itself to come out faster.
- The weapon is powerful enough to kill traditional enemies, such as Gnaars and Kleers, in a single strike. Slightly tougher enemies, such as Hatchling Arachnoids and Sirian Werebulls, only require two.
- It is not very effective against large or tougher enemies, such as Scrapjacks or Major Bio-mechanoids. Reserve using the Sledgehammer on these stronger enemies just to finish them off after weakening them.
- The weapon shouldn't been used against explosive enemies, such as Beheaded Kamikazes.
|Name and Icon||Description||Notes|
|Berserker||Kill 3 enemies in one sprint with the Sledgehammer.||Needs to be done while sprinting.|
|Bone Crusher||Smash 20 Kleers with the Sledgehammer.||-|
|Circle of death||Kill at least 3 enemies in one spinning Sledgehammer attack.||-|
- The Sledgehammer had a different style in the Reveal Trailer.