|XL4-P 'Ghostbuster' Beam Gun|
15 for each invisible bullet fired by the Ghost Buster
- The XL4-P Beam Gun, nicknamed the Ghostbuster, is an turquoise and white energy weapon that fires a continuous beam at a target. The beam does a significant amount of damage to enemies and can kill enemies faster than the Minigun can. However, it eats up ammo much faster than the Minigun does.
Unlike the Minigun, the Ghostbuster's beam has a fairly limited maximum range, making it impossible to take out enemies at long range.
The Ghostbuster can be found in Serious Sam Classics: Revolutions version of Alley of the Sphinxes. Right before going through the doors into the large arena, go left and follow the wall until you reach it's end. When there, shoot a Rocket at the piece of the wall that is right next to the temple.
NETRISCA information (Serious Sam Revolution)Edit
- Weapon: XL4-P Beam Gun
- Ammo: X7 Power Cells
- ROF: Continuous
- Weight: 21 lbs
An even more experimental branch of the original XL2 Lasergun research, this incredibly rare weapon fires a deadly continuous beam that cuts through everything. Only used by a select few highly trained EDF soldiers for secret field testing, the weapon quickly got the nickname "Ghostbuster", due to its similar nature to a weapon from a certain movie.
Using the same power cells as the XL2 Lasergun, this weapon was originally designed to be a replacement to the heavy and bulky Minigun, however as it never entered mass production, most soldiers believed this "super weapon" is just the stuff of legends.
- Use it to quickly cut through masses of medium sized enemies
- The Ghostbuster is a perfect panic weapon for close-range encounters. It's powerful enough to quickly take out anything, from large hordes of Kleer Skeletons to a Major Biomechanoid that's too close for comfort.
- Be aware that the Ghostbuster will very quickly burn through Electricity. Even if the player has the maximum amount of Electricity ammo, it will disssapear in a hurry if the player constantly holds the fire key down.
- Briefly tap the gun when using it most of the time. Holding down the fire key will waste ammo in most cases. Constantly holding down the fire key should only be done for dealing with very large hordes of enemies.
- Remember that the Ghostbuster's beam has a limited range. Always make sure that enemies are fairly close before using the Ghostbuster.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Ghostbuster was originally meant to be in The First Encounter. It was a weapon that fires a light-blue colored, electric beam. In the Test 2 phase the beam itself was purely a visual effect, as it is in reality firing a stream of invisible bullets at the target.
The Ghostbuster can't be picked up in the 1999 Publisher Evaluation build, but it can be accessed via cheats.
Beta Ghostbuster's fateEdit
The Ghostbuster was scrapped from TFE in November 2000, due to the inability to fix the code and model's UV maps. However, its HUD icon and one of its beam textures can still be found in the final game, and its code can be found in the Serious Sam 1 SDK. One of its firing sound appears to have been repurposed for Ugh-Zan III's electric beam firing sound, as it is named “GhostBuster.wav” in the game's files, the Electro Fish also uses Ghostbuster's firing sound from the 1999 Publisher Evaluation build. The weapon got far enough in TFE development that it received a new model, which can be seen in it's Revolution incarnation with fixed UV maps.
The coding for the Ghostbuster can be found in Test 1, Test 2 and in the SDK.
The idea of a beam-firing weapon was revisited in Serious Sam: Next Encounter's Sirian Power Gun and Serious Sam 2's Beam Gun. Ironically, the Serious Sam 2 Beam Gun was cut before the game was released, just like the original Ghost Buster was. The original Ghostbuster was made playable in Revolution.
- The Ghost Buster obtains it's name from the movie Ghostbusters, due to similarities with the main weapon used by the protagonist team.